Blogger Layouts

Saturday, June 7, 2008

So I just delivered a baby in a 2008 Honda Odyssey

Well...cut the umbilical cord would be a more apt description since mom was holding the baby in her lap when I got out there.  So as some of you may know, in order to pay off our spanking new van I work 48 hour shift in rural ERs.  It is more exciting than the instacares I've been living in for the past 9 months.  Anyway these experiences are best described as moments of sheer terror followed by a sense of accomplishment, this is repeated every few hours.  So this morning I just lay down to take a nap since I'm getting sick and all of a sudden the nurses are yelling my name.  I walk out of the ER doors and there is an odyssey with the passenger side door open and one of the nurses I worked with last weekend holding her purple baby in her arms.  So we got some clamps and scissors, clamped the umbilical cord, got the baby a blanket, and got mom into the ER to deliver the placenta.  Mom and baby are now doing great.  Mom lives a whole block away and was on her way in to the ER but didn't quite make it.  
I guess I have learned a thing or two the past 2 years b/c it was more funny than anything.  I didn't really feel any fear and I guess there was no reason to.  Women have been having babies in their modes of transportation forever.  It isn't much different than delivering a baby in your handcart, except the blood comes off leather seats a lot easier than warped, weathered wooden planks.  

2 comments:

Becky said...

We've all heard that adage "with great power comes great responsibility". I'm glad I'm not as powerful or important as you. There are those who can handle such things and those who can't. Goon on ya!

Unknown said...

so, does that mean you're going to deliver your 3rd boy in your new Honda Odyssey? :)