Blogger Layouts

Sunday, October 12, 2008

comfort food

This was the first morning I woke up and didn't want to get out of my warm bed into our chilly room.  Fall is officially here. In fact it almost felt like winter.  However, I drug myself out of bedput on my thick fuzzy socks and my thick chenille robe and walked into the kitchen.  Today I made fresh blueberry muffins and fluffy homemade waffles. (yes, Im a carb lover. Don't judge me)
 Some people love autumn for the colorful leaves, the nip in the air, football season, or the start of a new school year. Those things are wonderful yes but my favorite reason to ring in the fall season is the food. The down home, made from scratch, sit in your stomach for hours, comfort food. 
Yes each season has its own wonderful recipes. I have said my goodbyes to my summer favorites like; Spinach salad with strawberries and sliced almonds,  Grilled salmon with a squeeze of lemon and fresh steamed asparagus,  Ice cream sundaes as big as your head,  and yes ice cold lemonade sipped thru a twisty straw. 
Bring on Fall!! Im ready to feel full.  Homemade soup with rustic bread, Chicken pot pie with a crust so flakey it falls apart with moist cornbread warm enough to melt the honey butter, and of course a prime rib roast cooked so long it melts like butter in my mouth.  This is food that warms a person from the inside out. Oh and don't forget the hot apple cider in stemmed mug with a cinnamon stick. heaven!
I know I think about food more than the average person. Probably about 80% of my brain power in allotted to thinking about it. But i prefer to think that I just appreciate life's simple pleasures. 
Fall has however, come at an inopportune time this year. At the tail end of my baby weight. The dreaded last 10 lbs (ok 20 but Im trying to be realistic). I told myself I would lose 10lbs by Christmas but I don't know if there is just a slim chance of that or fat chance. We will see. If it happens I will post it for sure. If it doesn't I doubt you will hear of the subject again and don't bother asking because I will probably lie.
Well now I have started to ramble so i will end. Besides, there is a deep dish brownie recipe with my name on it. 

I don't like food, I love it!
and if I don't love it, I don't swallow.
-Antone Ego
Ratatouille


posted by katie



5 comments:

Lance said...

I had no idea that is what the warm muffins meant this morning. I wonder if you think about food as much as I think about BYU football. If you are at 80% then we are pretty close.

Unknown said...

ha ha. I love fall/winter just for the comfort foods too! YUMMY! Bring on the pounds! :)

Sara Sue said...

ahhhh sister. . . . i feel so close to you after reading this blog. miss you.

Kristy said...

Dang katie, that all sounds soooo good! I usually just think of thanksgiving dinner, which in my mind is the worst dinner ever! but wow I'm totally there with you in the carbs! Bread is that best!

Matt and Vanessa said...

Ok I just wrote a whole post (it was a good one too) and went to a different page before posting and it's gone! Anyway long story short keep talking about the delicious food my fam may get a home cooked me out of it! I'm going to have to get your trick for a fall apart roast. Because no matter how long I cook them they are still tough. I've even had the meat guy at the store pick me a good one. With no luck, Matts family still had tough roast for their french dip sandwiches that we served! Oh well, who am I trying kid I am no gormet cook.