Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No rest for the weary


So after about a year of waiting for our backyard to be made into a beautiful, safe place for our kids to play I was finally able to send them out enjoy the Utah sunshine in our fully fenced backyard.  I have been thoroughly enjoying this new found freedom. Most of the 2 and 1/2 years we have lived here the back has been mostly thistle and rocks and we haven't been able to send the boys out there to play. So I have always had to go out and watch them in the front yard if they were to play outside. 
So the other day I sent them outside to play in the sand box which they love doing for hours and was going to enjoy some down time. After about 10 min. of peace and quiet I hear the doorbell ring and ring and ring.  Who the heck?  I go to the door to see who was trying to wake my napping baby and there is my three year old at the front door. I was confused because whenever I send them out to the back yard I always check to make sure the gate is locked so they can't get out.  I asked him how he got out and he said he climbed over. Yeah right. The fence is 6 feet tall. he is 3 foot nothing. so I checked the gate. Locked. Im looking around for loose boards. Nothing. I keep asking Darren to tell me how he got out. He keeps telling me he climbed. Finally, I said show me how you got out.  So we walk through the house to the backyard and he walks over to the fence and in about 10 seconds he is up the fence and jumps down 6 feet to the ground on the other side. I am mortified. There goes my freedom, my peace and quiet, and my peace of mind. Yet again I am reminded that I cannot turn my back for a second.  Darren has conquered every child safety lock or mechanism I have ever purchased. Child proofing is a joke in our house. As far as Darren is concerned where there is a will there is a way and it is only a matter of time before our next trip to the ER.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We put the X on the other side of the fence. Not as pretty, but safe! Can you turn your gate around???

Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot I was signed on as Bill, this is Ashlee! More pictures please!

Stephanie said...

wow. it never even occured to me that that was a possiblity for them. i'm sure it won't be long before noah tries that.

but on the bright side, at least he rang YOUR doorbell and not a neighbor's that doesn't know who he is.

Shannon said...

That picture is classic. I love it! Better you than me, right?

Matt and Vanessa said...

Life with kids...Don't you wonder how people ever managed to have so many kids? That is hillarious though. He will never live that down just like dad will never live down taking his pants off when he was little so he could escape from being tied to the clothes line!