Blogger Layouts

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Storebought costumes are lame






So Darren had his preschool Halloween party today. Katie told me one of the kids was wearing a "Cars" costume. My first thought was that I'm glad my kid isn't wearing some lame mass produced costume. My second was how awesome my wife is. I am the biggest proponent of the homemade costume and the homemade birthday cake. The problem is I have no skills. So I basically do absolutely nothing to see that my kids get these crucial components of childhood...Unless you count keeping Katie company while I sleep next to her as she cuts out the costumes in bed at night. After the kids go to bed all I want to do is catch up on some cougarboard and go to bed. Not Katie. She cuts and sews and glues and comes up with 2 time winners of the best costume at the Barker family Halloween party. If you count just our family's votes we have won every year we have attended. So here's to you Katie. Master of the felt and feathers. I love you for your creativeness. I love you for your sacrifice. I love that you had never touched a sewing machine before having kids and now you make costumes fit for our children.
Of course I can't show a picture of this year's costume because the party isn't until next week. We don't want our competition to know what they are up against. By the way...as I write this from bed, where is Katie? She is in the kitchen frosting a cake for some ungrateful girl's baby shower! You know who you are so you darn well better love this cake!
By the way...those of you who do buy your costumes off the rack at Target...it's ok that you don't love your children. I'm sure they'll forgive you after they've been able to talk through their hurt with a qualified professional years from now. ( i might even suggest my brother in law).

4 comments:

Becky said...

Agree with the store bought costumes! NOTHING beats homemade! You guys always have AWESOME costumes!! Way to go Katie! Although you realize that your competition is not there ;) Actually Katie's skills pass mine up. I am nothing without mom. Can't wait to see this years! I am on the edge of my seat...

Ashlee Marie said...

Can't wait to see them...

Lexi said...

Wow Katie! That is awesome- you do a great job.

Unknown said...

Post pics already! I can't wait to see! My poor kids had to wear store bought costumes this year. I wish I knew how to sew like Katie.