Blogger Layouts

Sunday, June 7, 2009

The pampered life of a doctor's wife


So I’ve been meaning to write this post for some time...just haven’t gotten around to it.  

Last month Katie went to St. George with the Barker girls.  I thought it would be a good time for some Barker boy bonding.  During my last year in med school I had quite a bit of time off, 6 straight weeks at one point.  Luckily this occurred while Katie was pregnant with Cordon so I was able to help out a bit more with Darren.  This was my first and only experience as a stay at home dad.  It wasn’t too bad.  At the time it beat the heck out of an ICU rotation or sitting in a classroom all day.  So It was with these memories that I kissed Katie goodbye for her 2 day vacation.  I had made the decision we were going to potty train Cordon while she was gone so we headed out to buy Kung Fu panda underwear and some treats.  Got home, had dinner and tried a couple times to use the potty, without success.  Put the kids to bed and basked in the knowledge that I had lasted my first 8 hours without Katie pretty well.  

The next day the potty training began in earnest.  We sat on the toilet every 30 minutes ALL FREAKING DAY LONG!!!  By the end of the morning Cordon would no longer scream when sitting on the toilet, which was a pretty big success in and of itself.  The rest of the day consisted with a few drops in the toilet then getting off for a treat then soaking whatever he was sitting on about 15 minutes later.  I couldn’t believe how this happened every stinking time.  By that evening I just wanted an adult to talk to...no I just wanted Katie to talk to.  I was discouraged, lonely, and somewhat bored.  I tried to keep a stiff upper lip whenever she called but I really wanted her home.  It was about 7 o’clock that night when I realized, more than ever before, what a freaking steal she was.  Taking care of a year old was pretty fun but taking care of 3 kids, all at different stages of development is HARD.  You’ve got Darren asking 100 questions/minute, most of which don’t really make sense.  You have Cordon erupting like Vesuvius whenever something doesn’t go his way.  Then Cameron trying to stick his face in the toilet whenever the door is left open for a split second.  And all this without anything to look forward to for the next 2 days.  

As soon as Katie got home the next day I had to head south to cover an overnight ER shift.  Then 2 weeks ago I was gone for a week straight, 1st for 48 hours in Delta, then 48 hours in Panguitch, then 3 days in Moab.  Katie never complained once.  She does it all with a smile.  So my hat is off to you Katie.  You daily do what I never could.  

5 comments:

Jensen Family said...

Lance, that is very nice of you. I am glad Katie was able to come with us we did have a great time. You have found yourself one great gal though. your boys are crazy but oh so cute.

Becky said...

Katie deserved it for sure! I have a couple nights a week that Aaron doesn't make it home until late, after the girls have gone to bed and I just about go crazy.
Katie- you are a lot stronger than I am. But think of all the money you can indulge yourself in.....one day :)
BTW, glad the potty training worked. I am not looking forward to boys. My girls were a breeze and I have heard boys are a lot harder. Good job Lance!

Shannon said...

that is very sweet. We really miss you guys. I love reading your hilarious posts.

Unknown said...

Very sweet! You sure do got a good gal there. Don't you forget it!

katie said...

I keep hearing about all the money I will be seeing. What people need to remember is Im married to Lance. I highly doubt I will get even a glimpse of any cash before he wraps it in a plastic baggy and buries it in the backyard.