Blogger Layouts

Friday, October 23, 2009

Katie and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night.

I am not a good sleeper. It takes me a long time to fall asleep and then once I am asleep I wake up often (I think three young children have something to do with it). Anyway, the other night was no exception but seemed a little worse than normal.
I woke up about 1 am to a dark shadowy head about 1 in. from my face. I gasped even though this happens frequently. Not wanting to waken further by taking him back to his bed I just moved over and let the 3 year old in. While I was moving over I realized that I had been sleeping on my back with my hands above my head. Both arms are asleep. Not just tingly asleep, It was like whose-arms-are-attached-to-my-body asleep. Just as he gets situated his little voice says, "I'm hungry." I just ignore him. Wimper wimper "i'm hungry." Ugh. I'm sandwiched between husband and son and have no use of my arms so I just shush him. So he starts crying. I hiss at him to be quiet as I wriggle over him like a beached whale while I was trying to get out of bed. By now my arms are getting painfully tingly as the feeling is coming back. I get to the kitchen and throw my arm at the wall in a painful attempt to turn on the light. Screw it, I don't need light. I go for the pantry for the only sure thing that I know he will eat: a spoonful of peanut butter. I don't know how long it really took but it seemed like I was unscrewing the lid with spaghetti fingers for at least ten minutes. Finally, with peanut butter in one hand and a glass of water in the other I walk back to my room where he has taken my place in bed. He is asleep, zonked even. I start to gently shake him. Nothing. I rub the PB on his lips. He's out. My effort is in vain. I'm too lazy to move him. I head to the dark bathroom to go pee. In the dark I feel the cardboard of the empty TP roll. Seriously. I hobble to the closet with pajama pants around my ankles to get a new roll. By the time I blindly found the new TP roll I'm sure I didn't even need it any more. So then I go to the linen closet to grab a blanket so I can sleep on the couch. Argh. All our extra blankets are at the house in Pleasant View. The only thing left is a flannel fitted sheet. I head to the couch and cocoon myself into the sheet only to realize that now I can't sleep. So I turn on the food network. Some where between reruns of Ace of Cakes and Good Eats I fall asleep. I wake again when Cam starts crying. Now Im too tired to untangle myself from the elastic in the sheet so I just lay there and listen to him cry. He eventually falls back asleep and then so do I. I wake up again when Lance kisses me good bye as he heads off to works and I know my night is over. I was half relieved the night was over and yet dreading the day ahead with a crick in my neck.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

ha ha, that cracks me up about the peanut butter but I do feel bad for you. Better luck tonight!

Sara Sue said...

wow sister. this made me laugh out loud a couple times... but i am sorry it was so horrible. sweet dreams