Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I am a genius!

einstein_ebef6.jpg
Ok lets be honest here. I am NO genius. When I was in high school, out of desperation, my dad offered me $500 once to bring home straight A's. My next report card I produced all A's. He never did that again and neither did I. I did what teachers describe as "not reaching my potential."
Now in my career as a mother I wonder if, mentally, I am reaching my potential. If I listen to my kids then I am borderline super genius. So I will listen. They think I am amazing. Afterall, I know exactly what buttons to push on the microwave to make hot chocolate hot enough but not too hot. I know how to put their 115 peice train set together in under 5 min. and without instructions. I have two magic tools, tape and glue, that can fix about anything and best of all I know how to use the remote to the tv and find their favorite shows.
Big deal to you, huh? Well these are all things that my kids come to me for because they think I can do ANYTHING. And that I know everything.
So why do I bring this up now? Well, mostly because I am realizing that my 6 year old is rapidly becoming smarter than me. He is starting to learn these things, become independent and I will soon lose super hero status. Don't get me wrong, I encourage them to learn and be independent. But now it is staring me in the face that I need to raise the bar for myself if I want to be smarter than a first grader.
So I guess I will dust off the old books, brush up on my state capitals, relearn all the types of clouds and just try to stay ahead of the game. It's ok if they teach me a thing or two along the way. I already have learned so much from these little ones already. Things that you can't learn in school like; unconditional love, patience, silliness, and how to just have fun being together.
But for now I will enjoy being super smart. Even if I am not. But don't tell my kids that, they will figure it out soon enough.

Me and the kids

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sweet - I know how you feel. My kids often ask questions and I'm like - Um, ask your Daddy? I wish they stayed little for a lot longer, I'm just getting use to the small, need momma to do everything stage. Independence is a hard things for me to watch!

Sabrina J. Shy said...

ha ha, so true. I love it!

Shannon said...

Too cute. I remember thinking my mom knew everything and not being afraid to tell everyone else that either. I often found myself thinking I had won an argument by saying " yes huh! My mom said so." Now I am grown up and still think my mom knows everything so there is hope!

Darren & Kenna said...

What a darling post...thanks for sharing. Isn't being a mom the best? It's pretty neat that for a little while our kids think that we hold the moon in our hands.